We are delighted to announce the launch of a new Support and Information Service to ensure we continue to offer help when and how you need it.
In 2018 we received an increase in support and information requests from the bone cancer community. During the year, we supported 463 individuals and we distributed over 16,668 support and information resources to patients, their loved ones and the bone cancer surgical centres in England. Because of this increase and the feedback provided by patients and families, we have identified there is a desperate need for a dedicated primary bone cancer Support and Information Service for our community, which is currently not offered elsewhere.
This month we welcomed Louise Kirby as our new Support Manager. Louise is a nurse and has joined us from the Royal Marsden Hospital. Louise, who will be leading our service, said:
My career to date as a Chemotherapy and Palliative Oncology Nurse at the Royal Marsden Hospital has helped to shape my vision of cancer patient support. Ensuring patients are correctly informed and well-supported.
Leading the Bone Cancer Research Trust Support and Information Service is a huge honour for me and I hope to inject as much knowledge, life and energy into helping as many primary bone cancer patients as possible.
In a short period of time, Louise has already started building our support network and developing our relationships with Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Newcastle Hospitals, The Beatson, Maggie’s Centres, Macmillan and Pagets, just to mention a few!
What to expect from our Support and Information Service…
- Confidential and professional support
- Reliable, accurate and award-winning information
- Correct signposting to organisations that can also assist you - We work alongside many other charities and organisations, which means we can point you in the right direction if needed
- A listening ear, if and when you need to talk
- Access to patient stories and the opportunity to be connected with others, who have had similar experiences
- An annual conference, bringing together our community in a supportive and safe environment
- Support and Information days across the country
- Dedicated digital support groups - launching soon!
- A dedicated Support and Information Line - launching soon!
As a patient, family member or friend, if you need support with any aspect of coping with or dealing with primary bone cancer you can contact us by clicking below.