At the time I was only 14 years old. By chance I had put my hands on my hips whilst at school the week before my diagnosis and felt a lump on my ribs. After that it was all a bit of a whirlwind.

I was going to see my local GP for a general appointment on the Friday of that week, and on the off chance I asked the doctor to feel the lump on my back. She sent me for an X-ray straight away 'just to check.'

Later that same day I was called back to the hospital to go for a follow-up CT scan. At this point I wasn't worried or concerned, I just presumed they were double-checking, just to be sure. I played a lot of sport as a teenager, so I just presumed that the lump was a hernia or broken rib. The lump was the only symptom I had.

The following Monday, my mum received a phone call asking me to go into the hospital the next day. On Tuesday 12th September 2017, at 12pm, I was given my diagnosis of Ewing sarcoma of the 11th rib.

As a 14-year-old, my immediate reaction was God, am I going to lose my hair? I wasn't bothered about whether I was going to survive or not.

My dad was in Poland with work when I was diagnosed, so we had to tell him the news over the phone. I struggled with having to tell my friends and family as there was no easy well to tell them.

After diagnosis came the reality and what was about to happen started to sink in. I endured many scans and biopsies before staring my chemotherapy to ensure that I received the best treatment plan possible. I had 6 rounds of intensive chemotherapy, starting on my 15th birthday, before having 2 separate surgeries to remove the cancerous rib. This was then followed by a further 8 rounds of intensive chemotherapy. I had my chemotherapy at the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford and my surgeries at Birmingham Children's Hospital.

I lost three stone in weight and started to see a psychologist as the mental side effects were worsening. I was constantly asking why me? I continued to see a psychologist for over three years as I found it hard to deal with having cancer and losing my teenage years.

To date, I am now three and a half years clear of Ewing sarcoma. I'm no longer able to play sport like I used to because of my surgeries. My mobility is not as good as it used to be, and I struggle with back pain.

However, I do work full-time, I go to the gym 4 days a week and I'm starting to live a normal life again... something I never thought I would do.

My main message to people who are currently receiving treatment is to keep going. There is so much in life to fight for and, together, we will beat cancer.

If the fundraising and research that the Bone Cancer Research Trust does enables someone to go through the experience that I had to with a little more ease, we are providing light at the end of the tunnel. Personally, I didn't have anyone to talk to when I was going through treatment to reassure me that the way I was feeling was normal (even though the situation was far from normal). I hope that, by sharing my story and teaming up with the Bone Cancer Research Trust, I can help someone.

Donate now (This link opens in a new window) More about Ewing sarcoma